Following the copious restaurant meals I’ve had in the recent week(s) and amidst the laziness which ensued on Sunday, I was struggling to decide what to make myself for lunch. I could no longer ignore the hungry pleas of my stomach and succumbed to making a sandwich. Trying to find the easy way out, I fumbled in my fridge and noticed some leftover roast chicken – that’ll do.
Why argue with a classic or put up with an industrial version of a chicken salad sandwich, especially when one like this is so easy to make? Simple, tangy and a great way to use up leftover chicken. Serve on whole grain bread with some salad, and you have a healthy balanced lunch (or dinner) in no time flat. Here’s my version of chicken salad (quantities are for one).
Chicken Salad Sandwich
- ½ chicken breast, cooked and chopped
- 1 tbsp apple, finely diced (snack on the rest of the apple while you make your sandwich)
- 1 tbsp celery, finely diced (I had zucchini leftover, so I used that instead)
- 1 tbsp onion, finely diced (any onion of your choice will do)
- 1 ½ tbsp plain yogurt (because it’s a healthier choice than mayo)
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Spread between two slices of your bread of choice, stuff in a bun or pita, or even roll up in a tortilla, and garnish with lettuce.
Sandwich in hand, I proceeded to return to the warm spot waiting for me on the couch and curled up in front of another episode of […]. Come on, I can’t confess all my secrets here… but if you guess right, I’ll tell you which show I was indulging in. 😉